What soft skills do you need to succeed in this career:
Active Listening: Your patients may have questions about the procedure, you must be able to understand what they are asking so you can provide the information they are seeking.
Verbal Communication: To get accurate images you must be able to convey instructions to your patients.
Interpersonal Skills: In addition to listening and speaking skills, you must have good social skills and the ability to sympathize and empathize with your patients.
Reading Comprehension: Doctors will send written instructions regarding what images they need. You must be able to understand them.
Critical Thinking: This skill will let you evaluate alternative solutions to problems.
What will employers expect from you as a medical sonographer:
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions.
- Must be able to work independently or with little supervision and in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, projects and display flexibility in a fast paced and changing work environment.
- Must have good work ethics and a friendly and cheerful disposition.
- Ability to maintain the stick test levels of confidentiality required.
- Pursuing professional development for the continual improvement of patient care.